phpMyAdmin: Backup and Restore WordPress Database

22 10 2007

BACKUP

Backup you database, when ever you update your wordpress installation, you do some work on your theme or just to keep a copy of you data, become familiar with the process of backing up and restoring DB’s.

There are many ways to do a backup, there are even plugins for wordpress that make the job easier, take a look here, but it’s alwasy useful to have an extra ace in your sleves.

With phpMyAdmin it takes few click, first select your wordpress database (you might have more than one DB), click “Export” link, now take a quick look on the “Structure” pane and checkmark “add DROP TABLE”, “add AUTO_INCREMENT value” and “Enclose table and field names with backquotes”.Below “Structure” you can see a section called “DATA” and a checkbox near it, make sure it’s selected, beside that, nothing should be change for the other selections.

In the “Export” pane on the left side you see a box containing all the tables selected for backup, if there are none selected do so, at this point we are almost done, just be sure that the export format is SQL, “Save as file” is marked and pick a compression type, in this case I used “zipped”. Click “Go” and wait, be patient, if you have a lot of posts it might take few minutes.

DB backup video wordpress database backup

You need to upgrade your Flash Player

RESTORE

When you backup data, sooner or later you will need to restore it, nothing easier. As you did for the backup, in phpMyAdmin select your database, this time click “Import” and browse for you backup copy, click “Go” and pra…mmm, wait!

If everything goes well you just restored your database, otherwise you will be notified of any unsuccesful result. If that’s the case google is your best friend.

DB restore video wordpress database restore

You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Thanks for watching

Actions

Informations

24 responses to “phpMyAdmin: Backup and Restore WordPress Database”

22 09 2008
cagpobia (23:46:18) :

thanks much, guy

6 12 2008
Muki (15:44:13) :

Your article made me worried – when did I made my last database backup?! Thank you to remind me.

6 12 2008
Zoohandlung (15:58:30) :

Very helpful your description – thank you for posting.

11 12 2008
legolandbridge (18:16:35) :

Nice helpful screenshots. Is that an available plugin that pops up the videos?

Francesco Reply:

I use AFC FLV-Player, it comes with Highslide JS for the pop up window.

legolandbridge Reply:

thanks will check it out.

11 12 2008
Craig Edmonds (22:08:21) :

I have always copied the .sql fiel and restored from there. Never done it like this. Cool!

4 02 2009
Tobias (15:05:15) :

Hey thanks for the info. I tried to copy my database from oner server to another, but got error messages. After I read your post i clicked the export option “add DROP TABLE” and it worked. So great job and nice videos too.

20 02 2009
Clone A Wordpress Blog - Best Way? (22:45:12) :

[…] Re: Clone A WordPress Blog – Best Way? There may be some software, I’m not sure. But it’s really not that hard. Keep all of your plugins/themes in a folder, upload them to the appropriate directories. As for the database, it can easily be imported/exported in PHPmyadmin. I can’t really explain every step here, but once you do it once or twice it’s pretty easy. Here’s what a quick Google search brought up… phpMyAdmin: Backup and Restore WordPress Database […]

2 03 2009
Offsite Data Backup (20:06:08) :

This might be a good idea. I havent tried this one but I will. 🙂 thanks for sharing dude..

9 05 2009
How To Move A WP Blog To Another Host (12:55:53) :

[…] Originally Posted by yesacpow here is your answer: How To: Move Your WordPress Blog to a New Domain Those are the instructions that I use as well or if you want to back up and restore the database this is how I do it: phpMyAdmin: Backup and Restore WordPress Database […]

25 05 2009
therapist (09:47:23) :

it is necessary to have a back up for the wordpress data base?

13 06 2009
ahmet maranki (19:43:32) :

very nice

23 06 2009
TigerTom (20:29:01) :

Cpanel + Fantastico + WordPress + ‘plugin updating’ plugin = Blog happiness. Update with a few button pushes (in theory). Make a backup before you do so and save in an older version of SQL too in case your new host doesn’t support the latest.

29 11 2009
phpMyAdmin Life Saver: Change or Reset Password and Admin Name for WordPress (14:01:57) :

[…] There are moments in life that you might say "OOH SH$T! What was the password", I lost my WordPress admin name, I don’t remember it, I didn’t get the email with my password, etc. Well nothing to despair, the solution takes less than two minutes. To proceed you need to log in into your website control panel that most likely is provided by your web host, and most like you have phpMyAdmin too. In fact we need phpMyAdmin to put our hands into WordPress database and do modifications in there, but remember it is not a playground, a mistake and you can say bye bye to your blog. Just don’t wonder what the "drop" link might do, simply follow these few steps and you should bet alright. Just to be on the safe side, ALWAYS backup your database, if you have no clue how to do that just read my other tutorial. […]

19 05 2010
Kız giydirme (07:01:21) :

wp backup sistem good

12 06 2010
thatgirlagain (21:34:31) :

Thank you! I was wondering what I was doing wrong (I didn’t have the Drop Table checked) and this saved me an hour of frustration (if not more). Thanks again!

19 07 2010
torrents (19:04:46) :

I always copy the .sql file and restored from there. Never done it like this. Thanks

22 10 2011
intellectual property attorney (20:24:54) :

phpMyAdmin is pretty similar to some other products I have seen. I wonder what the requirements are regarding patents as it relates to software of this type. Do hosting companies have a site wide license or is it per server installation? Thanks

1 04 2013
Directorio Dirsur (05:48:52) :

As you did for the backup, in phpMyAdmin select your database

13 09 2013
crazy boy auto (13:59:39) :

We are during working on some sort of institution statement about this matter and your article features served myself while using the facts My spouse and i had to full the idea. Many thanks.

4 07 2014
Dora (03:16:33) :

As soon as you’ve figured your desired home design and style, start your search for the best home
accessories in these d. If you are looking to create a traditional French style home you
will need to think about redecorating, replacing some of your ultra modern furniture and purchasing some new items that
are in keeping with the French style. Remember that the food will also release its
own juices.

My web-site :: tile stove surround

6 08 2014
Elvira (04:17:55) :

Very good site you have here but I was curious about if you knew
of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this
article? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get feed-back from other experienced individuals that share the
same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Kudos!

Here is my homepage: How to Build a WordPress Blog (Elvira)

27 04 2017