XP welcome screen problem caused by Netgear wireless adapter

7 02 2007

I recently got a wireless adapter for cheap on ebay, the Netgear WG111v2, to be used with my laptop running Windows XP sp2. After installing the software for the WG111v2 and reboot I notice that the ','caption', 'Default Windows Xp Welcome screen', 'trail', true, 'direction', 'north', 'width', '264' );">welcome screen was replaced with the ','caption', 'Windows Xp Logon screen', 'trail', true, 'direction', 'north', 'width', '264' );">logon screen. Basically you must type username and password instead of selecting users by a distinctive icon.

What happens here is that the NetGear software for WG111v2 replaced the system logon MSGINA.DLL with RTLGina2.dll, therefore using a 3rd party GINA will disable the Welcome Screen and the Fast User switching as well.

The first thing that came to my mind was to remove the incriminated DLL and everything would set back to normal, well, not really. DO NOT DELETE RTLGina2.dll or you will not be able to login into the OS as usual, you will receive an error that RTLGina2.dll is missing, you will be able to log in into XP only in safe mode and that’s not good. Instead you have two options:

1. Via registry editing. Before editing the registry make a back up of it, if you are unsure on what to do go to option # 2. Go to Start, Run and type regedit. Look for HKEY_Local_machine/software/microsoft/windowsNT/current version/winlogon and delete the keyGINAdll. At the next reboot everything should be ok.

2. Use this small program and fix the problem with a safe click and without messing with the registry.

Good luck.

Actions

Informations

11 responses to “XP welcome screen problem caused by Netgear wireless adapter”

24 05 2009
STreet 2 Glow (14:45:22) :

this happend when i installed netgear but i thought it was some other problem

thanxs…

10 08 2009
Cangaseira (18:01:40) :

I had the same problem.I folowed your advise.It worked for me,thanks

11 12 2009
Daniel (23:01:53) :

I knew this problem, but I could not solve it
sorry for my bad English

thanks

23 01 2010
xp-error (07:37:49) :

i will receive an error that RTLGina2.dll is missing, you will be able to log in into XP only in safe mode and that’s not good. Instead you have two options:

13 05 2010
Joe (16:46:58) :

Just wanted to thank you for helping me get this Gina2.dll off of my computer. I usually don’t trust these help sites but I took a chance with yours and followed instruction # 1 and it worked perfectly. Thanks again.

18 06 2010
Simon (23:34:37) :

Thanks for the info. I uninstalled the Netgear Wireless driver and everything returned to normal.I’ve spent days trying to solve this problem. Thanks.

19 07 2010
Baldo Romero (04:19:47) :

This problem makes more a greater problem when it comes to deleting DLL’s. By the way thanks for sharing this info, it will really helps to avoid screen problems when installing net gear.

22 10 2011
Mixbook (22:02:30) :

This issue also relates to other wireless adapters than Netgear. I have another brand and was having the same problem. Once I deleted the file you mentioned, it worked for me too.

29 07 2012
solglasögon (09:37:52) :

Good work! I always like to leave comments whenever I see something unusual or impressive. I think we must appreciate those who do something especial. Keep it up, thanks
David Mayer

11 09 2013
Best Preparation Material For IBM 00M-663 Exam (13:51:20) :

Hmm. I’m having similar problems here with a WGR614 at a friend’s house. WEP is enabled here however. Will try the 802.1x authentication setting and see what happens. Also check for 2.4GHz cordless phones. Interestingly no such problems observed at my house and another that have D-Link gear. Coincidence?

1 06 2014
Merlin (07:30:07) :

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I
realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely glad
I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back
frequently!

my weblog; how to cancel google plus account