Winamp, force mono output

In the options menu open the preference windows (press Ctrl + P), on the left pane scroll down to DSP/Effect and select on the right pane Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio.Click on the Configure Active Plugin button, click New, give a name to the preset , check Enable Processing and in the field Per Sample (or sample pair) write:

If you need both channels on the right side

spl1=(spl0+spl1)/2;
spl0=0;

If you need both channels on the left side

spl0=(spl1+spl0)/2;
spl1=1;

Save and close
winamp_ references
Winamp Preferences.
winamp_ references
Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio

24 comments

1. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
    My blog goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from
    each other. If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

2. Jader says:

exelente!!! resolveu a questao de deixar mono, o som das duas caixas saindo em uma só e voce ainda escolhendo em qual lado irá sair!

Greeeeat solve my problem with let the sound goes mono in only one soundbox

3. Monk says:

Thank you for this useful information!

Sminster Dome’s example works beautifully – I wanted both channels to play the same signal, and now it finally does!

Why? Well.. try to play TFMX files with Winamp (there is a plugin for it) while using headphones to listen to it, and you will know.

Amiga has an ‘extreme stereo’, where half the channels exist on the left channel, and the other half on the right channel, so using headphones with Amiga music without some sort of forced mono is torture.

I know it has the ‘enable stereo blending’ option, but that only improves the situation slightly, it doesn’t completely do the trick. But the information on this page does – thank you all, especially Sminster Dome!

– Monk

4. doveris says:

Muchas gracias, me sirvió mucho.
    Es que me quedé con un solo parlante bueno y necesitaba sonido en mono.

Saludos.

5. Vikram says:

Winamp : Preferences : Playback : Force Mono

the simplest one.

Francesco Reply:

Right, haven’t used winamp in a long time but few sub-versions ago that wasn’t an option so… 🙂

6. Sminster Dome says:

I don’t know about you guys, but the code did not work for me. Doing a little experimenting-&-testing I came up with a revised version of it, and it definitely works in my case.

(first, remember that “spl0” & “spl1” are: “SPL0” & “SPL1″…NOT: “SP10” & “SP11”–the LETTER ‘l’ is often confused with the NUMBER ‘1’…[but the zero is always a zero])

ENTER THE FOLLOWING–character-by-character with no spaces & always ending each line with a semicolon:

spl0=spl0;
    spl1=spl1;
    mono=((spl0+spl1)/2);
    spl1=mono;
    spl0=mono;

John Reply:

Thank you!!
    This worked, after fucking around for ages and many pages trying to find a proper solution to this problem you give me an answer!
    Thanks =D

Monk Reply:

One more thing – this thing doesn’t work on MIDI-files. Nothing seems to work, not even the “force mono”. So if a MIDI-song has the bass on the left channel only, there’s no way to make it sound from both channels.. listening to something like that with earphones, argh.

Does anyone know any trick that would work with MIDI-files also?

7. Paul says:

If you want the same signal through both channels set it to this:

spl0=(spl0+spl1)/2;
    spl1=spl0;

Caleb Reply:

I want the same signal through both channels. Thank you. I use this (spl0=(spl0+spl1)/2;
    spl1=spl0;) because it is what I was looking for. Sometimes I’m irritated by stereo, monaural music feels more symetrical.